big school issues…

What a little poser!

I briefly mentioned that he is being enrolled in primary school for next year and a big chunk of me is sitting in a pile thinking – surely is can’t be time for that just yet.

I had a little chat with his teacher a couple of weeks ago and actually ended up with a bitter taste in my mouth after hearing her professional opinion.  I realize Logan is the youngest in his class and I realize that he may be a bit behind the rest of the kids in his class.  I am very interested to hear where he needs improvement and where I can help!  Along with all this, I am also very open to the idea of keeping him a year behind if this is in his best interest and will have him tested for school readiness towards September / October.

The little chat I had with the teacher was regarding his readiness for Grade 1.  She thinks he may not be ready for school (fare enough).

  1. Her recommendation was for me to see the principle of the school he will be attending next year to explain our “situations“. [ Because naturally his is the only child who was born late December and may not be ready for Grade 1. ]
  2. Furthermore I needed special exemption from either the Department of Education and or an occupational therapist should I now send him to Grade 1 next year.
  3. And that the school would not accept his application the following year, if I didn’t have this exemption.
Naturally all this had my blood boiling to the point that I was ready to throw her with something (preferably something solid that would leave a decent scar – stapler or a brick maybe?), thankfully on the day Kobus was close enough to drag me away and safe the day!

Fortunately Kobus also doesn’t have time for this particular teacher, so he told me not to have it bother me too much and to just phone the school – which I am very glad I did!  Their story is very plain and simple:

  • Enroll him for Grade 1
  • Once we receive confirmation that he has been accepted, have him tested in a school readiness test (which can be conducted at the school – free of charge or with an occupational therapist)
  • And if he isn’t ready for Grade 1, he will automatically be allocated a space in their Grade R class.
I should really mention, right at this point that his actually teacher – the one who has been on maternity leave will be coming back on the 1st of August.  She is worth her salt!  She is good with them.  She was a Grade 1 teacher.
I cannot wait for her return!




3 thoughts on “big school issues…

  1. The Princess was school ready at the end of last year – passed with flying colours (she is a 11 January child) Then her teacher mentioned that she could do with a bit of emotional growth. Then our paediatrician told me that she send her daughter, that has her birthday in late December, only in the next year. So we decided not to send her early. I realized yours is a bit of a different decision, but keep your mind open. One year later makes no difference – maybe go read this blogpost of mine: And yes, I am now 100% sure it was the right decision. One more year of play.

  2. Pingback: Mr. Swart legally and otherwise.. | lettice family

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s