The first appointment we had with the gynae was on the 7th of February. The doctor was very thorough, pleasant and clear on the matter that he only performs caesarean sections. He gave us his reasoning behind this, however it all comes down to predictability. As the Beefmaster and I left his offices and went about our normal day-to-day lives, we came to the following conclusions:
- We really like this doctor.
- He is old enough to be my grandfather and that is okay.
- We can settle for a caesarean section.
- We really would prefer natural birth if at all possible.
- Our doctor is such a lovely old man
- It is understandable that he would like to keep things simple-er and more predictable, especially at his age.
- I really want to go the natural route and I cannot pretend I’m okay with a c-section when I am not.
This was pretty much my day-to-day thinking. I read up on the matter, I asked my friend’s what their opinions were. I had conflict in my inner soul. The BM agreed with whatever I felt comfortable with, he allowed me to say my say and listened patiently as I voiced my concerns. Finally we had a plan: The plan was to attend our second appointment and during the consultation to ask our doctor to refer us to an alternative doctor who will allow nature to take it’s course. I remember how I had rehearsed the conversation. I remember feeling confident about our decision. However, once we had looked at the baby, my heart started beating a little bit faster. We were sitting in the Doctor’s consultation room and I remember looking up at the Beefmaster, hoping he would start the conversation, I dreaded to bring to light. I remember the pregnant (excuse the pun) pause, as we were about to leave the consultation area. The moment we had the chance to say our say. And I remember how both of us looked at the each other, stood up and kept quiet.
The question I pose is this:
How do you “fire” the gynae you have come to like very dearly, only because you are not willing to have your pregnancy planned according to someone else’s schedule?