When we moved house at the end of last year, the intention was to stay a year. The plan was to rent for another year and towards the end of this year to start looking for property to buy. Our needs were pretty simple. Two bedroom, two bathroom and a double garage.
Naturally being pregnant changes things quite a bit and as much as I would like to admit, a two bedroom house is not going to be big enough! We have been very blessed and very lucky – we will be able to afford a bigger place from about July. This leaves us with tight timing and lots to do:
- Starting the weekend and continuing over the next week and a bit, both the Beefmaster and I will be at home. And we have made a decision to utilize the time we have for sorting out/ spring cleaning / starting to box the things we can.
- Create a list of what is must have’s for the new house and what we are willing to compromise on. We sort of know this off by heart, but I think writing these down – black on white will make the search a bit easier.
- Realistically narrow down the areas that we want to stay in. No point looking at a pretty house because it is pretty, when it is on the other side of Pretoria.**
- Opt for a house we can grow into, rather than something that will end up being too small in a couple of year, when each boy wants his own room for example.
- Practise patience. We will find something that will be perfect for us. Keep patience and consistent in our search.
- The Beefmaster and I both need to pull our weight in search of the house and keep open communication in this search.
- Plan what we can, prepare where we can. A nanny/ domestic for us is a biggy! Our cleaning lady is too old to look after an infant and we have noticed that she is not managing. So finding a some else suitable, is very important at the moment.
- Purchasing all the stuff a baby needs… This does involve quite a bit of planning, however the plan for now is, to put money aside instead of purchasing things that needs to be stored until we move.
- Timing for the items (cot/ compactum / linen) made, in order for these to be delivered to the new house.
In my next installment of the house – I think I may share the difference the Beefmaster and I have, when it comes to the new house.
** This is more me than the Beefmaster. However the Beefmaster falls for every sales pitches. I can see his eyes go all big and wow with what ever bull-shit they tell him. I on the other hand question everything and know a sales pitch when I hear it! I do tend to go overboard in search of perfect… An example will definitely be, when we went in search of a wedding venue. Poor man!